Monitoring of the Inverted Relation of Gingival Pads in a Non-Syndromic Infant
Keywords:Gingival rounding, Prognathism, Child, Infant, Angle Class III
BACKGROUND: Monitoring the occlusal relationship of the infant’s gum pads is not a common practice in pediatric dentistry. In general, pediatric dentists are used to observe the conformation of the arches and clinical findings that may be outside of the infant’s normal oral anatomy. Here we tested the hypothesis that intervention before eruption of the primary dentition will minimize anterior crossbite in the primary dentition. To address our hypothesis, we used one case to demonstrate the importance of monitoring the relationship of the gum pads and primary teeth eruption to avoid possible deviations in the pattern of orofacial development and prevent future malocclusions.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: After proper consenting and anamnesis, an inverted relationship of the gum pads was observed in a 7-month-old baby while sleeping and at occlusal rest. Given that the patient was exclusively breastfeeding, adjustments of the catch were made, such as a greater opening towards the areola and nipple, and adjustments in the position and posture of the baby.
RESULTS: During the eruption phase of the anterior teeth, an anterior crossbite was observed. Caregivers were prescribed exercises that were to be performed in the maxillary and mandibular arches to stimulate maxillary growth and guide the posture of the mandible. The exercises were intensified during the eruption phase of the lateral incisors and molars and the occlusion was stabilized with bilateral masticatory guidance and different textures to be offered during food transition.
CONCLUSION: Based on the results observed for this case, the interventions allowed for a more satisfactory occlusion.
Early orthodontic treatment for Class III malocclusion: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Woon SC, Thiruvenkatachari B. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2017;151(1):28-52.
Skeletal and dental effects of Class III orthopaedic treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Rongo R, D'Antò V, Bucci R, Polito I, Martina R, Michelotti A. J Oral Rehabil 2017;44(7):545-62.
Orthodontic treatment need and timing: Assessment of evolutive malocclusion conditions and associated risk factors. Grippaudo MM, Quinzi V, Manai A, Paolantonio EG, Valente F, La Torre G, Marzo G. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2020;21(3):203-8.
Deciduous-dentition malocclusion predicts orthodontic treatment needs later: findings from a population-based birth cohort study. Peres KG, Peres MA, Thomson WM, Broadbent J, Hallal PC, Menezes AB. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2015;147(4):492-8.
Possibilittà di tratamento della patologia orofaciale nelle sindrome di Down com la placa di regolalazione motoria. Catillo-Morales R, Avalle C, Schimdt R. Rev Pediatr Preventiva Sociale 1984;34(1):1-4.
Programa preventivo de maloclusiones en los bebés. Camargo MCF. In: Feller C, Gonçalves EAN. Actualización en Clinica dental. 1st ed. São Paulo:Artes Médicas; 1998:405-42.
Orientações básicas e propostas de intervenção na dentição decídua. Roulet CP, Chedid SJ, Correa FNP, Correa MSNP. In: Chedid SJ. Ortopedia e ortodontia para a dentição decídua. Atendimento integral ao desenvolvimento infantil. 1st ed. São Paulo: Ed. Santos; 2013:223-41.
Proposta de intervenção preventiva – Massagens e exercícios de compressão digital para casos de retrognatismo e prognatismo. Chedid SJ, Roulet PC, Silva MO. In: Chedid SJ. Prevenção de maloclusão no bebê. Monitoramento do desenvolvimento crânio facial desde a gestação. 1st ed. São Paulo:Editora Napoleão/Quintessence; 2022:388-404.
Anterior crossbite correction in the early deciduous dentition. Vadiakas G, Viazis AD. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1992;102(2):160-2.
Intervention proposal for infant prognathism: A case report in a non-syndromic pediatric patient. Chedid SJ, Húngaro R. Int J Innov Res Med Sci 2021;6(11):1270.
Proposta de ficha clínica para a avaliação extraoral do bebê com ênfase na prevenção de oclusopatias. Chedid SJ, Garcia E. In: Chedid SJ. Prevenção de maloclusão no bebê. Monitoramento do desenvolvimento cranio facial desde a gestação. 1st ed. São Paulo:Editora Napoleão/Quintessence; 2022:220-7.
Proposta de ficha clínica para a avaliação intraoral do bebê com ênfase na prevenção de oclusopatias. In: Chedid SJ. Chedid SJ, Leite ESG, Roulet PC. Prevenção de maloclusão no bebê. Monitoramento do desenvolvimento cranio facial desde a gestação. São Paulo:Editora Napoleão/Quintessence; 2022:275-83.
Variations in the mutual relationships of the maxillary and mandibular gum pads in the newborn child. Clinch L. Int J Orthod Dent Child 1934;20(4):359-74.
Relationship of maxillary and mandibular gum pads in the newborn infant. Sillman JH. Am J Orthod Oral Surg 1938;24(5):409-24.
Gum pad relationships of infants at birth. Simpson WJ, Cheung DK. J Can Dent Assoc (Toronto) 1973;39(3):182-8.
Assessment of intraoral findings of neonates, born in and around Meerut City. Niranjan MM, Srivastava N, Rana V, Chandna P Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2020;13(1):48-52.
Aspectos epidemiológicos do desenvolvimento da oclusão no período pré-dentário [Dissertação de Mestrado pelo Curso de Pós -Graduação em Ortodontia]. Brandão AMR. Campinas:Universidade São Leopoldo Mandic; 2003:85p.
Avaliação da oclusão no período pré-dentário em prematuros nascidos na Fundação Santa Casa de Misericórdia do Pará. Almeida MNF, Siqueira TO, Ribeiro SMM. Rev Paraense Med 2007;2(4):31-6.
Estimulação sensoriomotora intra e extra-oral em neonatos prematuros: revisão bibliográfica. Lemes EF, Silva THMM, Correr AMA, Almeida EOC, Luchesi KF. Rev CEFAC 2015;17(3):945-55.
Brasil. Ministério da Saúde. Guia de atenção a saúde bucal da pessoa com deficiência. 2019:78-82.
The impact of orthodontic treatment on the quality of life a systematic review. Zhou Y, Wang Y, Wang X, Volière G, Hu R. BMC Oral Health 2014;14:66.
Interventions with pregnant women, new mothers and other primary caregivers for preventing early childhood caries. Riggs E, Kilpatrick N, Slack-Smith L, Chadwick B, Yelland J, Muthu MS, Gomersall JC. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019;2019(11):CD012155.
An overview for clinical application of gestational ultrasonography in prenatal dental care. A literature review. Chedid SJ. Int J Paediatr Dent Abstracts IAPD 2021:1534.
Three-dimensional ultrasound and maternal bonding, a third trimester study and a review. De Jong-Pleij EAP, Ribbert LSM, Pistorius LR, Tromp E, Mulder EJH, Bilardo CM. Prenatal Diag 2012;33(1):81-8.
Reabilitação neuro-oclusal. 2nd ed. Planas P. Rio de Janeiro:Medisi; 1997.
The effectiveness of early interventions on malocclusion and its impact on craniofacial growth: a systematic review. Valerio P, Poklepovic-Pericic T, Rossi A, Grippaudo C, Campos JST, Borges do Nascimento IJ. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2021;2(2):72-89.
Prediction of post-treatment outcome after combined treatment with maxillary protraction and chincap appliances. Yoshida I, Yamaguchi N, Mizoguchi I. Eur J Orthod 2006;28(1):89–96.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a prepublication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.
Revised 7/16/2018. Revision Description: Removed outdated link.